Summer is the busiest time of year for moving companies, with nearly 70% of moves in the United States taking place between Memorial Day and Labor Day. This period is known as peak moving season, and it’s important to book your move in advance if you need to relocate during this time. California moving is no exception to the busy summer moving season!
There are several reasons why summer is a popular time to move. Many places that have a cold winter only offer leases that begin and end during the summer months. Additionally, moving during the winter can be difficult due to shorter days, colder weather and unpredictable weather conditions—not every place has the good weather Southern California has! Families with school-aged children often choose to move during the summer to make the transition to a new school as easy as possible. Additionally, most homes are put up for sale in the spring to take advantage of the summer moving boom. Here’s a handy guide of what to expect once you’ve moved cross-country.
If you’re planning to move during peak season, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Hire your movers well in advance to ensure you have more options available.
- Consider a mid-month or mid-week move as demand drops during these times and you may be able to get a better price.
- Avoid holiday weekends like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day as roads are busier, people are more stressed, and gas is often more expensive.
- Turn on the air conditioning in your new home before bringing in any boxes to keep yourself and your movers cool.
- Keep heat-sensitive electronics like computers and smartphones with you in your car instead of in the moving truck.
No matter what season you’re moving in, it’s important to work with professional movers to ensure a smooth and stress-free relocation. Call Southern Cal Moving & Storage at 951-520-8800 for your free moving estimate or fill out our form online!